Tamiya 1/35 Schwerer Panzerspahwagen WIP Update: Drybrush and Chippings

Like the filter, I also used two colors for the drybrushing. First is light yellow then followed by dark gray on selected areas. Still have to tone it down a bit. I also did some paint chippings and rust. One more layer of light dusting on the lower hull and wheels and its done.


Tamiya 1/35 Schwerer Panzerspahwagen WIP Update: Filter

1st, I used a light gray....

then followed by brown.


Tamiya 1/35 Schwerer Panzerspahwagen WIP Update : Decals & Wash

Here's a small update. Decals were applied and sealed with a semi-gloss coat. After curing I applied a dark brown wash to raise some details of the kit. I also hand-painted some of the details using Tamiya enamels.


Tamiya 1/35 Schwerer Panzerspahwagen WIP Update : Painting

After fixing and replacing the worn out bushing of my old and trusty compressor... painting time!

The kit was primed with Mr. Surfacer 1000, then highlighted the edges, rivets etc. with dark gray.
Applied the base color which produced a subtle shade.

After drying and curing, I applied two lighter shades of the base coat as highlight and to show gradation.


Char's Zaku II Done

This project was inspired by NGT's HGUC Zaku build. I reshaped the torso area to make it a bit bulkier. Also did some armor cuts and separation on the skirts. I also extended the thighs by 2.5mm and did some articulation mods on it. The usual panel lines and small pla-strips were added for detailing purposes. I also modify the backpack, by adding after market thrusters. o-bolts and pla plates. More pics at the main site -- Mechaion Designs


Tamiya 1/35 Schwerer Panzerspahwagen WIP Update : Assembly 3

Construction of the turret and bulletproof plate.

At last, done with the assembly stage! Now the fun stuff begins!


Tamiya 1/35 Schwerer Panzerspahwagen WIP Update : Assembly 2

after fixing the suspensions in place.

upper hull was fixed too, there were some seam that needs some putty work. Wheels were dry-fitted to check proper alignment.

construction of the fenders.

another dry-fit just to check before cementing the fenders to the lower hull.


Tamiya 1/35 Schwerer Panzerspahwagen 8-Rad SdKfz232 WIP

The heavy Panzerspähwagen was a large and ungainly but very fast addition to the German mobile arsenal of the early war years. The original 6-rad (6 wheeled) versions were based on a 6x4 truck with armoured body, but by 1937 they were being replaced by the 8-rad versions. During the replacement, the Sd.Kfz numbers were carried directly over; differentiation is made by the addition of 6-Rad or 8-Rad (Ger: "6 wheel" or "8 wheel") in the vehicle name.
These vehicles first saw combat with the campaign against Poland and in the Battle of France. The radio communication cars proved their ability in infantry support, especially during street fighting. Later they saw use in both the USSR and North Africa. Extreme climatic conditions in both these areas proved too severe for the vehicle. In the USSR, adverse ground conditions immobilized 150 Sd.Kfz 232s during the first wet season of the campaign. In the desert, heat and sand created some maintenance problems. Still, the eight-wheeled cars turned out to be the best vehicles that Rommel had for long range reconnaissance across the wide desert territory.

from: Wikipedia

Tamiya first released the Schwerer Panzerspähwagen 8-Rad Sd.Kfz.232 (kit #35036) back in 1974 and was quite a detailed kit for its day with separate suspension components and nicely done hull/turret details.

from: www.perthmilitarymodelling.com


here's the transmission and leaf springs. lots of mold lines that still needs to be trimmed.

construction of the suspensions.

also assembled the wheels and underguard.

fixed all the components of the lower hull and hatches.